Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chocolate Cake in Under A Minute!

The most popular New Years resolution is probably to lose weight. We're coming to that magical time of year when most people realize they aren't even trying anymore when it comes to their resolutions! So, to help you on the path to where you DO NOT want to be, here is a cake you can make in under a minute in your microwave! That's right, 60 seconds from right now you could be eating cake in front of your computer. Trust me, Facebook is WAY more interesting with chocolate in your belly!

I found a dessert on Pinterest for a One Minute Chocolate Cake that I wanted to try. I changed a few things because this particular recipe came from a "healthy" dessert blog with Vegan options. And if you're going to break your diet, you had better make it worth it! 

The only downside to making single serve treats is that you dirty up a ton of measuring spoons! I may have to add to my collection that up to this point I thought had been plenty! I was so wrong! I don't need too big of an excuse to buy more kitchen tools, so it won't upset me to find more. 

Chocolate Microwave Cake
Here's what we will be making today: Chocolate Microwave Cake. It's a basic chocolate cake, no strange flavors or mix-ins added. Although, I do need to warn you: when you make cake in the microwave instead of the oven it will be a little denser, like bundt cake, and this cake is no exception. You will need:

4 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Handful of mini chocolate chips, optional

And, of course, a mug! That's the whole point, right? Mix all the dry ingredients together first and then add the wet ingredients. Last throw in a handful of mini chocolate chips. I mixed it in my mug and then decided to make it a little more fancy. You can either leave it in the mug, or spray another mug with cooking spray and poor the batter in. If you do the latter you can dump it out on a plate to add toppings to. I chose to cook it in my Prep Bowls from The Pampered Chef. 

Once everything is mixed and in the container you want, microwave it for 40-50 seconds. I stuck a cake tester in it just to be sure. It should look something like this:

I made a basic glaze to poor on top. About a teaspoon (not as in measuring spoon, as in eating cereal with my teaspoon, teaspoon) of powdered sugar with a few drops of milk. Keep messing with the amount of milk until you like the consistency. You can make it super think like frosting if you want or a little thinner. I picked thinner. 

Just a tiny amount is good enough, this is a single size cake after all! By now my cake was cool enough to take out of my dish and put on a plate. 
You can see all the chocolate chip bumps at the top, drizzled glaze, and I garnished with a strawberry which actually paired well with the cake. 
The inside was fluffy and the cake tasted great! I apologize for showing you how to have great chocolate cake in less than a minute. Now, what are you waiting for?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment