Saturday, February 9, 2013

Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies


I bake cookies a lot. It's kind of a thing. And even though I love to play with flavors and mix and match, my hubby's favorite cookie is the chocolate chip! So it's the one I make the most. Who wouldn't? I use the same recipe for most cookies that I make and lucky you, I'm going to tell you my big secret on just my second blog post: it's Nestle Tollhouse. Yep. That's my big secret. People always go nuts for my cookies and I use the recipe that's on the bag! But I'll still spell it out for you today and post pictures to help. Different bakers still make things differently. Don't forget to preheat your oven to 375 degrees first things first. You want the heat to be even when you start to bake. Then I pull out every ingredient I need at once so I don't forget what I've added or not. My counter looks crazy crowded!
A lot of people think you shouldn't melt your butter in the microwave, but I've been doing it for years! How else are you supposed to get it soft enough to mix? I've left butter on my counter for a full day or overnight to find it just as firm as in the refrigerator. It doesn't help that Matt and I never have our heater turned on. So my butter always starts out looking a lot like this: 

Just be careful to not heat it up too much or else you're cooking the butter. I normally go for 30 seconds and then check. When it's half way melted I stir it up and it mushes rather nicely. After that I dump in all the other ingredients save for the flour. Really. I don't hold back and I don't mix as I go. Why waste the time? 
Your bowl will look like a big mess and that's ok, it's all about to be mixed up anyway. Now go nuts stirring! Mix, mix, mix. And when it's all mixed add the flour a cup at a time then add the morsels last. 

Because it's for Valentine's Day I have a mixture of dark chocolate, red colored milk chocolate, and white chocoalte morsels. This is going to be good. 

By now the oven is preheated enough for you to start cooking. I use a pampered chef scoop so that all of my cookies are the same size, but I'm weird like that. Set a timer, and start cleaning up your mess! 

It's true what they say about leaving your cookies on the pan for a few minutes after you take them out of the oven. Especially if you're using stoneware, which I suggest using because cookies turn out so much better than on a metal pan. Perhaps one day I'll bake a cookie on each and show you the difference. I have two pans so I rotate through them and normally leave the cookies on one pan the entire time the other is baking before removing them. 

Here we go. If you follow the recipe and directions you're going to have beautiful, golden brown, tasty cookies that everyone will love! Much like these. 

But be careful, these cookies are classic for a reason and if you leave them unattended you'll be left with some crumbs. 

I hope Nestle Tollhouse cookies work out as great for you as they do for me! Give them a try and let me know how they turn out! 

Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies
preheat oven 375, bake 9-11 min

2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup butter
2 cups morsels (a whole bag) 

No comments:

Post a Comment